The Atlas is a multi-year endeavor involving 5 years of field surveys followed by data analysis and production of a final product that could take another 3 years. While volunteer birders are the heart and soul of the Atlas, we need nearly two million dollars over the next 8 years to address all the project goals. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has jump-started the Atlas by providing about $150,000 a year in federal funds that run out in March of 2023. Funding beyond that date is uncertain and not guaranteed. We need your help to complete the Atlas so we can inform conservation and protect New York’s birds for years to come.
There are three ways to donate to the atlas:
**Some important news about charitable giving. Under the new CARES Act, all taxpayers can now take an above-the-line deduction for cash contributions of up to $300. If you itemize your deductions, the normal limit for contributions—usually 50 percent of adjusted gross income (AGI) or 60 percent for cash—is suspended for 2020. This means that you can deduct 100 percent of gifts valued at your full AGI. We suggest you consult your tax advisor for more details.**
Make a one-time gift to the Atlas. We accept donations through the New York State Ornithological Association (NYSOA), a 501(c)(3) partner organization. Donations are tax-deductible and appear on your statement as a donation to NYSOA but will be earmarked for the Atlas. One-time donations of $10,000 or more will be acknowledged on the Atlas website for the duration of the project. For donations of more than $10,000, please contact Kathy Schneider at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsor a Species
Leave your name on ornithological history! Through our Sponsor-a-Species campaign, you can choose one or more bird species to sponsor for one to five years. The cost is as little as $100 per year. If you choose to sponsor a species for all five years, your name, or the name of someone you choose to honor, will be associated with that species in the final Breeding Bird Atlas product.
Your place for atlas-themed t-shirts, mugs, bags, and hats! Royalties will go to the atlas at the rate of 5% of the purchase price. Show your support for the atlas today! Visit the Atlas Store.
How your donation will be used
Your donation will be used to support the following essential activities.
- General project funding for future years (salaries, travel, subcontracts, administrative support)
- Workshops, volunteer appreciation gatherings, and blockbusting events (venue costs, equipment rental, signage, food, speakers)
- Outreach and advertising (stickers, banner, travel, incentives and awards)
- IT and supplies (email marketing services, maps for block sign-up, books, software)
- Fundraising costs (online directories, premiums, prizes, raffle tickets, software)
- Additional research (field technicians for point counts and abundance data collection, targeted species surveys)
- Part-time staff to assist with data management and communications
- Final product development (website development, writing, editing, publication)