Team eBird is based out of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in Ithaca, New York. We are a passionate team that includes bird-heads, application developers, user interface and design experts, and database gurus who are committed to building tools to deliver high quality data that can be used for science and conservation. We work collaboratively with many other teams at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology including the Macaulay Library, Bird Populations Studies, Conservation, Education, and Communications and positions from those groups that are most directly related to eBird are also included here.
Please see below for the current jobs that are available with eBird (and sometimes with other related projects).
See additional job openings at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
Current Job Postings
Applications Programmer III – Band F
Lab of Ornithology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
See full listing and apply here
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is seeking a motivated Software Engineer to lead efforts to manage millions of images, sounds, and videos in a scientific archive, the Macaulay Library. An active community of citizen scientists gather media with metadata (such as date and location) that are uploaded through online applications (including eBird), stored, and accessible for display on applications, and requested by researchers and educators. Specific duties include:
- Develop the software to support pipelines for media delivery and long-term, archival storage.
- Collaborate with world-class experts and development teams on challenging data-intensive projects that will advance science and conservation.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain data management, media automation systems, and tools that facilitate the use of media for science, education, and conservation.
- Review and improve workflows for processing and managing media and metadata.
- Design, implement, and test software and server systems to: preserve, structure, and synchronize media metadata; allow users to find, play, preview, download, and license recordings; equip staff and contributors with tools to manage media and metadata; and automate media and metadata management.
One-year term appointment with possibility of renewal based upon performance and availability of funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, and 3-5 years programming experience or equivalent.
- Two year experience designing, building, and testing web applications.
- One year experience writing SQL.
- Experience integrating multiple systems, and building/consuming APIs.
- Experience using software development tools such as git, jenkins, and jira.
- Experience with linux server administration.
- Experience collaborating with a team of engineers, designers, project managers, and stakeholders, to solve problems and achieve common goals.
- Able to adapt to changing priorities, situations, and demands.
- Able to express highly technical terms in everyday language.
- Able to participate in a team rotation for off-hours monitoring.
- Experience with Spring, Oracle, Solr, ELK, Docker.
- Knowledge of birds, conservation, and natural science.
Applicants to provide cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 references. Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position; not eligible to apply. Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university’s mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. Located in Ithaca, NY, Cornell’s far-flung global presence includes the medical college’s campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City.
We offer a rich array of services, programs and benefits to help employees advance in their career and enhance the quality of personal life, including employee wellness, workshops, childcare and adoption assistance, parental leave and flexible work options.